Thursday, April 29, 2010

Meyong-Dong

Yesterday I went to Myeon-Dong, a shopping area in Seoul quite famous for its outdoor market. The great thing about the market is that you can bargain with the sellers. Everything there is in the low to mid price ranges and being able to bargain is an extra bonus. It’s a paradise for bargain hunters and they have awesome shoes and accessories for UNDER 20 dollars (about 20,000 Korean won). And the crazy thing is that there are no taxes. Yeah... NO taxes… AND tipping is actually considered rude, which I found quite difficult to get used to when I first got here. Kind of nice right?



But if you are claustrophobic, I recommend you don’t wander there on the weekends. It’s INSANELY packed. I’m used to it, and to be honest I enjoy it and totally don’t mind the crowd at all. If anything, I think it makes the place more interesting, and it’s great for people watching, which I LOVE to do…is that bad? ; )

There’s also a recently opened H&M that’s insanely massive, and an equally massive, if not bigger, Forever 21 and Zara are there as well. The great thing about Myeong Dong is that there's such a big variety, if you are looking to bargain, you can do so with the outdoor vendors, and if you’re looking for brand names, there’s Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, Balenciaga,Comme des garcons, Marc Jacobs, Chloe and MANY, many, more in the gorgeous Shinsegae, and Lotte Luxury Department stores (The Korean version of Canada’s Holt Renfrew, but with a way bigger brand selection)



The restaurants there are also to die for. Yesterday I went to my favorite Italian resto called Pene Pasta. The atmosphere in the restaurant is very chill and the décor makes me feel like I’m in a cute restaurant in Italy. There were too many cute couples dining there for my taste…but then again, when ISN’T there cute couples in Korea. Korea is such a “couple-y” (yes, I just made up that word) country, which a totally other post in itself. Maybe I’m just bitter…?







On another note, I can’t wait to get my new camera on Saturday! As some of you know, I’ve been camera-less for a while, let's not talk about how that happened... and it’s been driving me crazy. I’ve been using my friend’s camera for the past week, but come Saturday I’ll be able to post many more pictures and videos! Olé!

P.S I purchased the forever 21 rings that everyone is sporting, cute no?







No comments:

Post a Comment